Friday 5 December 2008

Great Summer Reads


I just finished reading The Tinker's Girl. It's not my type of book but I got carried away that I can't put it down even if my eyes were saying no. I had to get a better lighting and splash my face with water inorder to stay awake.

It transported me back to the days when my existence in this world is not known yet. 19th century traditions - slavery, mod cons were just a dream, women getting married at a way early age, etc.

It's not a light read yet intriguing that will keep you going. Though, I was so disappointed at the end. I expected more drama, though the book is already full of it. I reckon, the author should have given more piece or words for Bruce as for me, it's not just Jinnie who's driving the story. It's the both of them.

Anyway.

Here are some great summer reads from yahoo lifestyle:


The Kite Runner
Khaled Hosseini
Recently made into a film, this book tells the story of Amir, who has never forgiven himself for betraying his childhood friend, Hassan. When Amir returns to a Taliban-ruled Afghanistan as an adult, he tries to make-up for what happened all those years ago.

Galilee
Clive Barker
Part soap-opera, part romance, part fantasy, this epic novel tells the story of a woman’s induction into one of America’s first families. Wealth, power and glamour are thrust upon her, but so is something else; the family’s long-held connection to another, more mystical, family to whom they owe everything.

Dedication
Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus
Kate Hollis’ boyfriend left her just before the prom. Thirteen years later he is a world-famous rock star, who has made a career out of songs about her and their relationship. Having been haunted by his lyrics for all this time, she now has the chance to confront him when he returns to his home town.

More here...

0 comments: