Sunday 22 August 2010

Volley Shoes



FOR decades they have served as the unofficial shoes of Australia.
But the humble Dunlop Volley is now the hottest sneaker in Manhattan - and they come with a price tag to match.

Struck by their comfortable simplicity, trendy downtown retailer Steven Alan is selling them to New Yorkers for $US60 a pair ($66) - more than twice their Aussie price.

Mr Alan, who owns eight eclectic fashion boutiques in New York and LA, spotted construction workers on the Sydney Harbour Bridge wearing them during a trip to Australia last year.

Instantly, he decided the old canvas sandshoe, which launched as a $2.50 tennis shoe in 1939, were "really cool".

"It's hard to get a sandshoe that is classic and that you've never seen before but which still reads 'classic'," Mr Alan said.

Now, I don’t own a pair of these shoes yet but with this hype, I might get a pair for myself. I’ve seen kids wearing these and I for me, they look okay and functional but not fashionable. Oh well, to each his own anyway. But I won’t be buying them any time soon as we have car insurance due soon.

*****

0 comments: